martes, 8 de enero de 2019

‘Even if there isn’t friendship between govt and media, there shouldn’t be animosity’ | Opinion News, The Indian Express

‘Even if there isn’t friendship between govt and media, there shouldn’t be animosity’ | Opinion News, The Indian Express



‘Even if there isn’t friendship between govt and media, there shouldn’t be animosity’

If I say that that during the Emergency, Ramnath Goenka lit a lamp in the middle of a tempest, it would not be an exaggeration. And the lamp he lit stayed alive despite the tempest.

Rajnath Singh speech ramnath goenka awards
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh delivers a speech at the Ramnath Goenka Awards in New Delhi. (Express Photo)
Looking at certain leaders sitting before me, I find myself in a piquant situation. If I speak about the late Ramnath Goenka and his role during and after the Emergency, I am going to feel a bit hesitant, given that some of our friends from the Congress are sitting here. You could say that one should speak openly. But you know there is some courtesy one has to extend. Democracy functions through such courtesies. But all of them are friends and they won’t mind whatever I am going to say here, at least at this time.
I would like to say that I feel very happy to be here. Normally, I do not consent to appear at events. But the moment I was told about this programme, I agreed. There was only one reason for that: The great respect I have for Ramnath Goenkaji.


It was the time of Emergency. I was in Naini jail. Before that, I had been in solitary confinement. There were teachers from Allahabad University and leaders from various political parties in the Naini Central Jail, and barely a day went by when Goenka was not discussed in the jail. I never met him personally. But whatever I had heard about him in those days had created an impression on me, and that is why I readily agreed to be here.

No hay comentarios: