jueves, 10 de septiembre de 2020

Trump defends coronavirus response after Woodward interview audio published: 'I don't want to scare people' | Fox News

Trump defends coronavirus response after Woodward interview audio published: 'I don't want to scare people' | Fox News

Fox News First



Good morning and welcome to Fox News First. Here's what you need to know as you start your day ...
Trump slams Woodward, says he didn't want to 'scare people' about virus
President Trump defended comments he made earlier this year in interviews with journalist Bob Woodward about the coronavirus pandemic, claiming on Fox News' "Hannity" on Wednesday night he wanted to "show a calmness."
"I'm the leader of the country, I can't be jumping up and down and scaring people," Trump told host Sean Hannity. "I don't want to scare people. I want people not to panic, and that's exactly what I did."

Excerpts from some of the interviews, which form the basis of Woodward's forthcoming book, "Rage," were published by The Washington Post earlier Wednesday. In early February, Trump told Woodward the coronavirus was "deadly stuff" while publicly comparing it to the seasonal flu. More than a month later, on March 19, Trump admitted to Woodward he "wanted to always play it [the virus] down.

"I still like playing it down, because I don’t want to create a panic," Trump added at the time.

On Wednesday night, the president condemned Woodward as an author of "hit jobs."

"He does hit jobs with everybody, he even did it on Obama ... constant hit jobs. On [George W.] Bush, I guess, they did three books, they were all terrible," Trump said. "So I figured, you know, 'Let's give it a little shot, I'll speak to him.' It wasn't a big deal, I speak to him and let's see … ” CLICK HERE FOR MORE ON OUR TOP STORY.

In other developments:
- Woodward dismisses claims he could have saved lives by publishing Trump's coronavirus remarks sooner
- Meadows admits 'I would not have recommended' Woodward be given access to Trump for interviews
- Sean Hannity shows how Biden, Democrats downplayed coronavirus while Trump took action
- 'The Five' react to Trump comments about coronavirus to Bob Woodward

No hay comentarios: